Frequently Asked Questions
WHO CAN JOIN THE IRON DUKES?
All Duke fans and supporters are encouraged to join the Iron Dukes. You do not have to be a former Duke student-athlete or alumnus of Duke University to join the Iron Dukes
HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE THERE IN THE IRON DUKES?
There are over 9,000 active Iron Dukes members.
IS MY CONTRIBUTION TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
Yes, the Internal Revenue Service allows a deduction on contributions where there is no tangible or intangible benefit to the donor. If you accept benefits in exchange for your contribution, your deduction may be limited. For example, receipt of priority consideration for the purchase of tickets at an athletic event will reduce your deduction to 80% of the value of your gift. If you have questions regarding the deductibility of your gift to the Iron Dukes, you should consult your personal tax advisor.
IF I GIVE TO A SPECIFIC SPORT, AM I AN IRON DUKES MEMBER?
Yes, all donors to Duke Athletics are Iron Dukes members, including sport-specific gifts to the Iron Dukes Varsity Club. Please refer to the Benefits Chart to see which tangible benefits are attached to different types of gifts.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR PARKING PRIVILEGES AND HOW ARE THEY ALLOCATED?
Iron Dukes Annual Fund members giving at the $250 level or higher are eligible to purchase Men's Basketball and Football parking. Iron Dukes Annual Fund members at the $100 level or higher are eligible for Women's Basketball parking. All Iron Dukes members at those levels with season tickets in the respective sport will automatically be sent a season parking pass. Members who qualify for parking but do not have season tickets can request single game parking passes by calling our office at (919) 613-7575.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR TICKETS?
- All Iron Dukes members qualify to purchase season and individual game tickets for Football and Women’s Basketball tickets, as well as individual men’s basketball tickets. Iron Dukes priority is used for all seating allocations. Priority levels as of April 15 will be used for season Football ticket allocation, and July 20 for Men’s and Women’s Basketball season allocations. For detailed information, please contact the Iron Dukes Office.
- The projected Stadium Level for new season ticket holders for the 2016-17 Men’s Basketball season is $8,000 annually per pair. For season ticket holders prior to 2015-16 the Stadium Level is $7,000 per pair. Iron Dukes members contributing at Stadium Level to the Iron Dukes Annual Fund will receive a season ticket application in August. If demand exceeds supply, Iron Dukes priority as of July 20 will be used for new season ticket requests.
- The Iron Dukes Ticket Exchange program redistributes tickets that are turned in by season ticket holders on a game by game basis. All active Iron Dukes members are eligible to request tickets via the Iron Dukes Ticket Exchange.
- All Iron Duke members are eligible for bowl tickets. Priority levels as of October 31 will be used for allocation.
- Post-season men’s & women’s basketball ticket allocation is based on event location, ticket supply, and demand. Priority levels as of December 31st will be used for ticket allocation.
CAN TICKETS OR ACCOUNT HISTORY BE TRANSFERABLE?
Account history cannot be transferred generationally, but may be passed to a spouse. Tickets can be transferred to a spouse and in certain scenarios tickets can be transferred generationally. Call the Iron Dukes office at (919) 613-7575 for more information.
DO IRON DUKES MEMBERS RECEIVE PRIORITY CONSIDERATION WHEN BUYING SEASON TICKETS FOR FOOTBALL AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL?
Yes, priority consideration is given to all Iron Dukes members who renew or become new season ticket holders for Football and Women's Basketball. When purchasing tickets, please be sure to always identify yourself as an Iron Dukes member.
CAN I STILL GET TICKETS TO A MEN'S BASKETBALL GAME WITHOUT BEING A SEASON TICKET HOLDER?
Yes, all Iron Duke members receive a postcard listing opportunities to request single game tickets to select home and away Men's Basketball games. Those requests are filled based on Iron Dukes priority and availability. All Iron Duke members are also eligible for the Ticket Exchange program.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NCAA COMPLIANCE RULES?
Recruiting is the responsibility of the Duke coaching staff. Iron Dukes members may not write, call, contact or otherwise recruit on behalf of Duke University Athletics. It is permissible to continue a pre-established relationship with a prospect/prospect's family. A pre-established relationship is one that developed unrelated to the individual's athletics participation; the relationship and provision of benefits predates the individual's status as a prospect or reputation of athletic achievement; and the provision of benefits has been in line with those provided prior to the individual's notoriety as a skilled athlete. A prospect remains a prospect until they enroll in classes at Duke. Student-athletes jeopardize their ability to participate if found they, or their families, have accepted any extra benefits (e.g, gifts or cash, meals at a restaurant, event tickets, free or reduced cost services, etc.). Extra benefit restrictions apply to current student-athletes as well as former student-athletes. You can find more information at www.GoDuke.com/compliance.